What is OPC grape seed extract?
OPC grape seed extract – definition, efficacy, intake and experiences
More and more people are losing confidence in conventional medicine and conventional forms of therapy or medication. At the same time, however, the demand for alternatives such as natural dietary supplements and natural history healing methods is steadily increasing. In this context, more and more use is made for grape seed extract. This paper explains how it works, how it is applied and what scientific evidence is available in this regard.
What is OPC?
OPC (abbreviation for oligomeric proanthocyanidins or oligomeric procyanidins) is biochemically one of the flavonoids. These, in turn, are so-called phytonutrients that have beneficial effects on health. Those who do not really deal with this topic will quickly come to the conclusion that this plant material occurs mainly in the nuclei of the grape. However, proanthocyanidins are also found in other spices and foods. For example, in apples, cinnamon, cocoa, nuts and, of course, in grape seeds, this plant material occurs, but in different proportions.
In wine, this substance is mainly found in the outer parts of the plant, such as In the bark or in the grape peel, but also in the core casings and in the seeds themselves. However, the concentration varies greatly, with much more in red wine than in white wine. Many experts believe polyphenols are among the most essential vital substances the human body needs. In addition, there are ongoing studies to prove that polyphenols increase antioxidant levels in the blood and thus counteract cell damage from free radicals. As a dietary supplement, the plant substance is mainly highly dosed in capsule form, which contains a high proportion of antioxidants.
Is there already scientific evidence for the efficacy of OPC?
Researchers are now continuously providing scientific evidence of the health benefits of grape seed extract:
- The plant substance and its antioxidant effects can prevent or stop diseases. For example, within a Japanese study in 2013, it was shown that by taking oligomeric procyanidins, it can promote the prevention of atherosclerosis. (Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23176379)
- However, oligomeric procyanidins also have a positive effect on cholesterol levels. People who have high cholesterol were able to lower their levels through grape extract intake. That's proved by an American study by Georgetown University. (Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11508317)
- In people with obesity or obesity, both insulin resistance and inflammatory levels have been improved by taking it. This effect was evimented by studies by the Iranian University of Tabriz. This positive effect has shown that the capsules preserve the health of the body's cells. (Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23506314)
- By taking the plant substance, people with chronic high blood pressure or hypertensive heart disease can also be helped. A multi-week American study showed that by administering vitamins and OPC capsules, blood flow was improved. As a result, high blood pressure has also been significantly reduced. The effect is best developed by taking the capsules with a drink. These findings clearly show that OPC capsules are not only good for the skin, but also for the cells and the heart. (Source: http://www.unifarm-medicom.rs/pdf/MN-BP%20GSE%20in%20PreHyp%20Journal%20of%20Pharmacy%20and%20Nutrition%202012.pdf)
- The secondary plant substance can also have a beneficial effect on diabetes. Indian researchers have found that taking OPC capsules produces a similar effect to the conventional drug metformin. In theory, therefore, the plant substance is also able to reduce too high blood glucose levels and keep insulin levels constant in the cells. (Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3972396/)
- People suffering from Alzheimer's disease gradually lose their independence and can no longer do their daily life independently. An American study showed that the degenerative process can be stopped in the cells of the brain, thereby preventing the deposition of beaamyloid (a specific protein). Taking OPC capsules could not only prevent the disease, but also help people who have already fallen ill regain more memory. (Source: http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/154/2/453)
How should the extract of grape seeds be taken?
As a rule, the recommended daily dose of the extract of the grape is about 150 to 300 mg for adults. In most cases, food supplements in the form of tablets or capsules are used. Since the effect is influenced by the individual metabolism, it is difficult to make general statements about the dose. If you want to play it safe, you should definitely stick to the recommended daily dose. If the extract is used as a therapy measure, which requires a significantly higher dose, then consultation with a doctor should always be kept. If the plant substance is used therapeutically, a daily dose of 400 mg and more is allowed. Otherwise, 1 to 2 mg per kilogram of body weight can be taken for prevention. In a person weighing 80 kg, a dose of between 80 and 160 mg per day is recommended.
Capsules or tablets are either available as a single extract or in conjunction with other ingredients such as other anti-aging agents or vitamin C. Those who take medications for blood thinning. The plant extract may be able to amplify the blood thinning effect, although this effect has not been studied until now.
The secondary plant substance is 100% natural and free of side effects when paying attention to the recommended daily dose. It is important to take the capsules or tablets regularly and together with other vitamins. The reason for this is that the effect of the vitamins is enhanced by the extract of the grape and vice versa. In other words, for example, vitamin C is taken at the same time, thus enhancing the secondary plant substance and this in turn enhances the effect of the C vitamin.
In order for the effect to develop optimally, it is advisable to take the capsules on an empty stomach. With a little liquid, the capsules are consumed about 30 minutes before the first meal. If you have problems taking tablets or capsules on an empty stomach, you can also take them together with a meal. The simultaneous intake of the dietary supplement with dairy products should be avoided. If these directives are adhered to, the positive impact on health can soon be benefited.
What are the health effects to be expected?
The polyphenols contained have numerous health benefits, which have already been scientifically proven. In particular, this increases the antioxidants in the blood, thereby protecting the body from free radicals. It therefore helps to protect bodily damage caused by free radicals, for example in the event of pollutant stress, stress or sun exposure.
Studies and studies have also shown that the extract of the grape has the following positive effects on health:
- Prevails viral and bacterial infections
- Reduces inflammation or lowers inflammation levels
- Protects against tooth decay
- Improves high blood pressure levels
- Accelerates fat metabolism
- Fights the negative effects of diabetes mellitus
- Improves bad cholesterol levels
- Protects against harmful sunlight
- Mitigates signs of aging of the skin
- Protects the heart and nerve cells
Experience with the grape seed extract?
The extract of grape seeds has different effects on ailments. There are several positive experiences to report on the following positive effects:
- Inflammation: The secondary plant substance has an anti-inflammatory effect. It can therefore be used for inflamed joints (arthritis), inflammation of the sinuses (sinusitis), inflammation of the gums (periodontitis), inflammation of the gastritis (gastritis) or in inflamed bronchi (bronchitis).
- Skin and connective tissue: To prevent wrinkles, as well as to improve the elasticity of the nails and skin, the extract of grape seeds can be consumed. In addition, there are also positive effects on stretch marks or burns. Faster wound healing and relief of neurodermatitis, acne or eczema should also be achieved through administration.
- Cardiovascular system: OPC capsules can significantly reduce blood lipid levels, as well as improved blood flow to the coronary vessels. Also existing problems of the veins (e.g. varicose veins or spider drivers) can improve due to the ingestion, as well as circulatory disorders and water accumulations in the tissues.
- Eyes: Here, too, the secondary plant substance is supposed to work true wonders. Especially with a present grey star, night blindness or age-related visual impairment, taking OPC capsules is helpful.
- Immune system: Applications also include hay fever, asthma, allergies and generally supporting the immune system. In this context, there are already many positive experiences that confirm an improvement in susceptibility to infection.
- Nervous system: Taking the extract of grape seeds also improves memory function, learning and concentration, and attention deficit hyperactivity syndrome (ADHD).
In addition, there are also positive experiences regarding rheumatism and gout. This is also recommended to take OPC capsules in case of osteoporosis. In addition, the secondary plant substance also has a promising effect on the rhythm of the woman's period and also provides the reduction of the negative effects of PMS (premenstrual syndrome).
Conclusion – why it's worth taking
The studies already carried out already show that the extract of grape seeds can be beneficial both in the treatment and in the prevention of various diseases. These areas include protecting the heart, reducing signs of aging, reducing blood lipid levels, improving high blood pressure and reducing inflammation as well as maintaining healthy blood sugar levels.
In order to obtain all positive effects, care should be taken to ensure that the OPC capsules are taken regularly and with fluid on an empty stomach. The simultaneous intake of vitamins also has a beneficial effect, as the effect is mutually amplified. Since every person is different and reflects a highly complex system, the effect may also differ. Ongoing studies and studies will undoubtedly bring to light further positive effects of the secondary plant substance. Try it out definitely.